Office of the Assessor
The Vernon Township Assessor is your liaison to the Chief County Assessment Office. The Township Assessor is an elected position (4-year terms). The assessor must be certified by the State and meet continuing education requirements.
The job of the assessor is to value all taxable parcels of property within the township in a uniform manner so all properties are valued at the same approximate assessment level. This creates a fair share spread of the real estate tax burden. The assessor has no say or control of the tax monies requested of any given taxing district.
It is the responsibility of the assessor to pick up any new property annually which is not on the assessment roll. This includes new homes, commercial buildings, industrial buildings, finished basements, decks, patios, pools, garages, sheds, barns, etc.
We receive copies of building permits from 11 municipalities and also the county for unincorporated areas.
Villages Within Vernon Township
Villages wholly or partially located with Vernon Township:
- Buffalo Grove Indian Creek
- Lake Forest
- Long Grove
- Vernon Hills
2018 Real Estate Tax
- First installment due: June 6, 2019
- Second installment due: September 6, 2019
Other Services Provided by the Office of the Assessor
- Online Exemption Filing
- Assists in filing Senior Homestead Exemptions (PDF)
- Assists in filing Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemptions (PDF)
- Distributes literature concerning assessments and tax bill processes
- Provides information requested for Assessment Appeals
- Monitors and grants Homeowners Exemption for owner occupied residential properties
- Requests Tax Bill address changes (PDF)
- Assists in filing Agricultural Valuation
- Monitor qualifying properties for Home-Improvement Exemptions ($75,000 full market value or $25,000 assessment reduction)
- Assists in determining tax bill amounts
- Provides information in how to obtain Names and addresses for properties applying for variances
- Requests Commercial Building Vacancy Affidavits (PDF)
- Offers free Notary Public for Vernon Township residents